Vaccines for terminal conditions

Reaction score
Vaccines for cancer and heart disease are being made.

This can be used to treat cancer whilst avoiding the side-effects of chemo-therapy:
An mRNA-based cancer vaccine would alert the immune system to a cancer that is already growing in a patient’s body, so it can attack and destroy it, without destroying healthy cells.

I realise this is a controversial view I voice, however I LOVE to over-analyse things - I feel like healthcare innovations are likely to save more lives than sanctions against Russia. Cancer and heart disease kill more people globally than the number of Ukraine citizens killed. Logically speaking. Sanctions mean less money for us to spend on other advancements that save lives, because the sanctions have ultimately led to higher food prices and energy costs, which means less profit made by businesses, which means less corporation tax raised by the government, which means less money for the government to spend. Also, Russia has other friends such as China and India to help them out, so we are affected more than they are.

What are your views? Should healthcare innovation funding be a reason to avoid getting involved in war?
I'm keen to hear the views of others on this subject :)

Last edited:
Vaccines for cancer and heart disease are being made.
I never even seen anything on this subject. I wonder the cost of these. Could we reach a point where they will just hand these out?

I never even seen anything on this subject. I wonder the cost of these. Could we reach a point where they will just hand these out?
I don't think most people have. Did you read the article? They haven't even started trials yet, just developments. Hopefully it will all work out. Who knows what the future holds :)

It's been discovered that remnants of ancient viruses remain within our DNA, helping to fight cancer.

The study by the Francis Crick Institute showed the dormant remnants of these old viruses are woken up when cancerous cells spiral out of control.

This unintentionally helps the immune system target and attack the tumour.

The team wants to harness the discovery to design vaccines that can boost cancer treatment, or even prevent it.

The researchers had noticed a connection between better survival from lung cancer and a part of the immune system, called B-cells, clustering around tumours.

"The immune system is tricked into believing that the tumour cells are infected and it tries to eliminate the virus, so it's sort of an alarm system," Prof George Kassiotis, head of retroviral immunology at the biomedical research centre, told me.

The antibodies summon other parts of the immune system that kill off the "infected" cells - the immune system is trying to stop a virus but in this case is taking out cancerous cells.

The study, published in the journal Nature, describes how this happens naturally in the body but the researchers want to enhance that effect by developing vaccines to teach the body how to hunt for endogenous retroviruses.
"If we can do that, then you can think not only of therapeutic vaccines, you can also think of preventative vaccines," said Prof Kassiotis.
Hopefully vaccines effective both for cure and prevention will be out soon 🥳

Last edited:
Till date, I keep wondering why it's so difficult to just get some sort of vaccine that can treat cancer? Why is it that difficult with all the advancement we have seen in technology?
Chemotherapy isn't cheap on the other hand, so I expect this to me damn costly too whenever it's ready.

Till date, I keep wondering why it's so difficult to just get some sort of vaccine that can treat cancer? Why is it that difficult with all the advancement we have seen in technology?
It will be the first of vaccines for non-infectious diseases, I believe.
But it's based on mRNA technoology. COVID advanced this research.

Something I have never understood is how over all the years that they raise funds for cancer research but they have not been able to find a cure that works and helps people survive this awful disease.

It is promising that they do have vaccines in development and we can only hope that they are a success for both cancer and heart disease. The question is though, if they are successful, will they end up keeping it from people to continue getting funding to help find a cure or will this be something we finally see that helps people?

Something I have never understood is how over all the years that they raise funds for cancer research but they have not been able to find a cure that works and helps people survive this awful disease.

It is promising that they do have vaccines in development and we can only hope that they are a success for both cancer and heart disease. The question is though, if they are successful, will they end up keeping it from people to continue getting funding to help find a cure or will this be something we finally see that helps people?
Constantly new research. Covid was a blessing in disguise in that the mRNA approach was researched further

I think a claim that one thing is going to cure cancer isn't following the science of all the different types of cancers. Not all cancers can be treated the same because they are not the same. When I got thyroid cancer, I learned there isn't just one type of thyroid cancer and my doctors needed to know which kind I had in order to treat it. If I received the wrong treatment, it could threaten my life because the cancer wouldn't be eliminated.

I am always for healthcare innovations and improvement. They serve people and make life better. Wars serve no constructive purpose unless it's a war against terrorism and other evils. War is always destructive and make people suffer. Health care innovations are to provide relief from suffering.
I hope that these vaccines come out well and be effective and affordable. That would bring a revolution and can serve so many people in need.

718Threads
6,128Messages
61Members
KeraLatest member