Should the voting age be lowered?

I'm not sure, here in the US, one party wants to lower the voting age, but for the wrong reasons.
What wrong reasons would you believe in? I'm just curious :)

I still think 18 is good, but there are very mature 16 year olds that I would trust voting. Double-edged sword?
I have a question for you... why would someone who isn't into politics bother to vote?
Apart from the risk that children may be influenced by their parents; subsequently, the votes of those with kids count more hence those without kids are disadvantaged :p
Any other ideas?

What wrong reasons would you believe in? I'm just curious :)

I have a question for you... why would someone who isn't into politics bother to vote?
Apart from the risk that children may be influenced by their parents; subsequently, the votes of those with kids count more hence those without kids are disadvantaged :p
Any other ideas?

This party is always trying to use sub-groups for their voting base and they know they can persuade a younger person with less experience to vote their way.

People usually don't vote if they are not into politics or not of the awareness of laws and legislation that would affect them if they didn't vote. I was reared it was my civic duty to vote and if I didn't vote, then I had no room to complain. Not every family puts that emphasis on voting and I realize that's becoming a parenting relic to teach kids about government and how voting affects in all city, state and federal areas of the government.

People usually don't vote if they are not into politics or not of the awareness of laws and legislation that would affect them if they didn't vote.
I don't know. I've heard many stories of kids being forced, by their parents, to pursue a particular career choice against their will.
Similarly I would not be surprised if parents also had excessive influences over their kids' political views.

I was reared it was my civic duty to vote and if I didn't vote, then I had no room to complain.
I wish I voted against Brexit. I had an exam that next day and was too stressed out to take the time to vote due to time constraints, assuming that everyone would vote against Brexit.
Turns out NOOOO... perhaps everyone thought the same way and...
Pink Fail GIF by Jacqueline Jing Lin

This party is always trying to use sub-groups for their voting base and they know they can persuade a younger person with less experience to vote their way.
Oh yes, then again, there are many adults who may not be into politics and be easily influenced.
Just like there are many kids who can hold intellectual debates.

I don't know. I've heard many stories of kids being forced, by their parents, to pursue a particular career choice against their will.
Similarly I would not be surprised if parents also had excessive influences over their kids' political views.

I wish I voted against Brexit. I had an exam that next day and was too stressed out to take the time to vote due to time constraints, assuming that everyone would vote against Brexit.
Turns out NOOOO... perhaps everyone thought the same way and...
Pink Fail GIF by Jacqueline Jing Lin

Oh yes, then again, there are many adults who may not be into politics and be easily influenced.
Just like there are many kids who can hold intellectual debates.
I've learned from experience that forcing a child to do something doesn't work....it's our job as a parent to teach values, open their world and let them decide for their selves when that time comes....of course parents always hope their kids will run by their thoughts in discussions so parents feel part of their world in some way.

I'm sorry you missed voting....and yes, many parents can be very influential to the point of being unhealthy to their children. I think that's why kids rebel when they grow up because the parent didn't listen to them in the first place.

I think that's why kids rebel when they grow up because the parent didn't listen to them in the first place.
So true, forcefully pushing your views onto someone else generally backfires, having the opposite effect :p

I've learned from experience that forcing a child to do something doesn't work....
I agree with that, when it comes to something a child wants. But if it's something like politics, a child may just do what their parents want them to do. Because maybe they don't really care. I suppose that could happen with anyone though, not just kids. I've seen it many times.

For example, you may be surprised to learn that "What is the EU?" was the most frequently googled term in the UK around the time of the Brexit vote.

We're having a debate on whether the voting age should be lowered, yet it could be said that it's not age that matters, but rather political awareness. You reckon perhaps asking all voters to take a political quiz ,with a pass mark required to vote to gauge the voters' political awareness, would be a good idea prior to voting?

it's our job as a parent to teach values, open their world and let them decide for their selves when that time comes....of course parents always hope their kids will run by their thoughts in discussions so parents feel part of their world in some way.
Sure, but a parent may have biased political viewpoints and miss out on the entire story when feeding it to their child. Ultimately, the parent influences the child, not by dictation sure I agree with you on that front, but by persuasion? Just something to consider :)

So true, forcefully pushing your views onto someone else generally backfires, having the opposite effect :p

I agree with that, when it comes to something a child wants. But if it's something like politics, a child may just do what their parents want them to do. Because maybe they don't really care. I suppose that could happen with anyone though, not just kids. I've seen it many times.

For example, you may be surprised to learn that "What is the EU?" was the most frequently googled term in the UK around the time of the Brexit vote.

We're having a debate on whether the voting age should be lowered, yet it could be said that it's not age that matters, but rather political awareness. You reckon perhaps asking all voters to take a political quiz ,with a pass mark required to vote to gauge the voters' political awareness, would be a good idea prior to voting?

Sure, but a parent may have biased political viewpoints and miss out on the entire story when feeding it to their child. Ultimately, the parent influences the child, not by dictation sure I agree with you on that front, but by persuasion? Just something to consider :)
An example, if a child is pushed to go to church all of their youth, what happens when they leave home...do they rebel, some do. Your quiz on political awareness is an intriguing way to gauge a person's ability to vote.
In our country, you will become a citizen when you are 16 years of age but you need to wait until 18 to be able to get voting rights. I think 18 is the most appropriate age. I feel people under 18 can be easily manipulated by other people, therefore elections wouldn't be fair.
I get that....I'm not sure I was totally politically aware until I was 18.

An example, if a child is pushed to go to church all of their youth, what happens when they leave home...do they rebel, some do. Your quiz on political awareness is an intriguing way to gauge a person's ability to vote.
Sure, that tends to happen when it comes to religion and all that. My mum's Hindi while I'm agnostic. I hated having vegetarian views imposed on me as a kid. I grew up as a rebel :p

I don't think that would be the case for politics :)

Sure, that tends to happen when it comes to religion and all that. My mum's Hindi while I'm agnostic. I hated having vegetarian views imposed on me as a kid. I grew up as a rebel :p

I don't think that would be the case for politics :)
Children do tend to emulate their parents and I can look at generations of families that tend to vote the same way, so I get what you are saying about politics may not fit in that "box".

Last edited:
Voting in my country have always been a **** show. The legal voting age is supposed to be 18 years but whenever it's election time, the Northern part of Nigeria will have kids as young as 5 years of out to vote and the electoral body in charge will allow them to vote instead of having them disqualified.

At the moment the legal age to vote is 18 in most countries but many people do seem to want to see it lowered.

I wouldn't say I am against lowering it as I do feel that 16-year-olds should have a say but it would also go by maturity as well. Whilst some 16-year-olds are mature you do get the ones that are not and would probably not take voting as seriously as they should and that could cause issues.

Voting in my country have always been a **** show. The legal voting age is supposed to be 18 years but whenever it's election time, the Northern part of Nigeria will have kids as young as 5 years of out to vote and the electoral body in charge will allow them to vote instead of having them disqualified.
I recall pretences of internet connection failures when it comes to voting for opponent parties. So, not surprising but shocking at the same time

Whilst some 16-year-olds are mature you do get the ones that are not and would probably not take voting as seriously as they should and that could cause issues.
What sort of issues would you say? Parental influences?

What sort of issues would you say? Parental influences?
Parental issues are definitely one thing I would worry about but it's also that most 16-year-olds also probably don't follow politics as much as they may be able to and would possibly only vote because their friends are like it was a trend. This would result in votes just being made for the sake of it and not being carefully considered as many adults do now.

Parental issues are definitely one thing I would worry about but it's also that most 16-year-olds also probably don't follow politics as much as they may be able to and would possibly only vote because their friends are like it was a trend. This would result in votes just being made for the sake of it and not being carefully considered as many adults do now.
I get the trend thing, I do. I used to get that when it came to silly votes with regards to proms and things like that :p

For me I would suggest the voting process to remain at 18 years old. My reason being at this age, most young men are matured enough to think on who is bad and who is nice to vote for them.
Secondly at this age most of the young people would have completed the high school and are supposed to be heading to the higher learning institutions.
This means then these people are matured enough to make their personal decision in life and in the sense that they are issued with the identity cards at this age.

However at 16 years of age , I think the age is very tender for most of them and majority of them would be still in school.

For me I would suggest the voting process to remain at 18 years old. My reason being at this age, most young men are matured enough to think on who is bad and who is nice to vote for them.
Secondly at this age most of the young people would have completed the high school and are supposed to be heading to the higher learning institutions.
This means then these people are matured enough to make their personal decision in life and in the sense that they are issued with the identity cards at this age.

However at 16 years of age , I think the age is very tender for most of them and majority of them would be still in school.
I respect your opinion of course, but I don't think the maturity level of humans these days changes much, if at all, between ages 16 and 18. Maybe 21 would be a more suitable age IMO.

718Threads
6,128Messages
61Members
KeraLatest member