Has social media made the internet more toxic?

Reaction score
Website
www.revillution.net
It's no secret that social media has become a lot more dominant over the years with so many more people using social media more than anything else on the internet now to either share updates or just post random things they have found on the internet.

Of course, with social media comes trolls and people who feel because it is the internet that they can do and say what they please and it will have no repercussions.

Do you feel social media has made the internet more toxic?

I don't think social media has. But some people behind the keyboard could use a kick in the ***.
Are you referring to internet trolls?

It depends on how you see things, fords. For some ppl, when you see ppl having the time of their lives, you get jealous. I went through that as a teenager, seeing everyone doing things I never had the opportunity to do, and ppl looking prettier than me. But now I realise that looks aren't everything, and ppl rarely reveal their dark sides on social media, so rarely do you see their true colours.

It depends on how you see things, fords. For some ppl, when you see ppl having the time of their lives, you get jealous. I went through that as a teenager, seeing everyone doing things I never had the opportunity to do, and ppl looking prettier than me. But now I realise that looks aren't everything, and ppl rarely reveal their dark sides on social media, so rarely do you see their true colours.
Some on the web think they are gods behind the keyboard. But really they are just a joke. At a young age, everyone goes through the everyone is better than me stage. Or better looking deal. Trolls will be trolls I guess.

If you keep your social media to just family and close friends, then they know you.

Some on the web think they are gods behind the keyboard. But really they are just a joke. At a young age, everyone goes through the everyone is better than me stage. Or better looking deal. Trolls will be trolls I guess.

If you keep your social media to just family and close friends, then they know you.
I generally add acquaintances on facebook. Generally speaking, anything sensitive I wish to share, I'd share in a private one-to-one conversation anyhow. It just wouldn't feel appropriate in a casual group situation. But that's just me.

Do you only restrict your social media to family and close friends? And how close is close? Most ppl will only have a maximum of 3-5 VERY close friends. I don't know anyone who restricts social media to family and their closest friends. Unless by a close friend, you mean a long term friend you are in close contact with. I'd say I have only 1 or 2 very close friends and around 10-15 reasonably close ones IRL.

This is something I always used to let get to me years ago and it was more so when I used to spend a lot of time on Facebook. I used to see friends posting everything little good thing that happened in their lives but they never seemed to post anything about things in their life that were not right, giving a false vision that they have a perfect life. They still do it even now but I have gotten better at ignoring it and I always find it is the same people as well.

Once you realize that they only post what they want you to see, you start to look at things from a different light.

718Threads
6,128Messages
61Members
KeraLatest member