Are footballers paid too much money?

Reaction score
I don't think it's fair, personally, that footballers earn so much money. And what? For having fun. They earn more than so many stuck in public sector jobs. At least in the UK. And it all comes from our tax.

I respect everyone will have different views, but personally, I don't think sport is important for our (taxpayers') money to be spent on.
I also don't feel there'd be a shortage of footballers if wages were reduced for them, as so many have a passion for football.
You know, a bit like, how people run marathons for free, just for fun?

What are your thoughts? :)

I've always thought that the payment scale for entertainers and sports was way off the scale. In my world view, I'd rather fund academia, science and inventors where those amazing people can make a difference in our lives by our monetary support rather then the billions that goes to the entertainment industry.

I've always thought that the payment scale for entertainers and sports was way off the scale. In my world view, I'd rather fund academia, science and inventors where those amazing people can make a difference in our lives by our monetary support rather then the billions that goes to the entertainment industry.
I agree partly with what you say. As for the entertainment industry though, personally I think creativity should be rewarded. That's not to say that academia, science and other amazing inventions shouldn't receive that same level of support. I'm sure they get paid less than sportsmen and entertainers, but I'll need to check.

Overall, I believe in rewarding creativity. What do you think? :)

I agree partly with what you say. As for the entertainment industry though, personally I think creativity should be rewarded. That's not to say that academia, science and other amazing inventions shouldn't receive that same level of support. I'm sure they get paid less than sportsmen and entertainers, but I'll need to check.

Overall, I believe in rewarding creativity. What do you think? :)
I'm fine with rewarding creativity, of course, just in the realm of reality. ;) We're in agreement, and good points!

Whenever I hear about how much a football player has been paid I often say something about it. When it comes to the point where football players are earning more than teachers, doctors, nurses, care workers, retail workers, and even factory workers for doing what they do which is a lot less than some of the jobs I mentioned above, you know there is something wrong.

You don't see footballers striking because they are not paid enough and that is because they are paid way too much I feel.

Whenever I hear about how much a football player has been paid I often say something about it. When it comes to the point where football players are earning more than teachers, doctors, nurses, care workers, retail workers, and even factory workers for doing what they do which is a lot less than some of the jobs I mentioned above, you know there is something wrong.

You don't see footballers striking because they are not paid enough and that is because they are paid way too much I feel.
Agreed. It's bad. Footballers' wages should decrease while public sector workers' should increase. Talk about sense of justice!

Agreed. It's bad. Footballers' wages should decrease while public sector workers' should increase. Talk about sense of justice!
I would love to see this happen and I feel that is very much what is wrong with the world at the moment. Unfortunately, no matter how much people cry out and shout from the rooftops about how they want to change, they will not see it. It's very wrong.

I would love to see this happen and I feel that is very much what is wrong with the world at the moment. Unfortunately, no matter how much people cry out and shout from the rooftops about how they want to change, they will not see it. It's very wrong.
There needs to be a protest for this!! Surprised it's not happened yet (or at least I have not heard of such! )

I too very surprised by this. The footballers are paid so much money in a week for instance.
We recently made a rough calculation with my friend and we find that a they are paid more than our president in my country.
I then thought about it for some time but I had no answers to my questions.
What is the president's salary?

There needs to be a protest for this!! Surprised it's not happened yet (or at least I have not heard of such! )
Of all the protests we have seen at the moment, some of them seem quite pointless to be honest, I am actually shocked that we haven't seen any kind of protest about this, especially given that there have been a lot of strikes regarding pay.
I too very surprised by this. The footballers are paid so much money in a week for instance.
We recently made a rough calculation with my friend and we find that a they are paid more than our president in my country.
I then thought about it for some time but I had no answers to my questions.
That is crazy! I always thought the leaders of the country were paid more than a footballer or maybe that is just how I saw it but for footballers to ba paid more than a President, that is very much a joke.

Do you know how much your president gets paid compared to footballers?

Of all the protests we have seen at the moment, some of them seem quite pointless to be honest, I am actually shocked that we haven't seen any kind of protest about this, especially given that there have been a lot of strikes regarding pay.

That is crazy! I always thought the leaders of the country were paid more than a footballer or maybe that is just how I saw it but for footballers to ba paid more than a President, that is very much a joke.

Do you know how much your president gets paid compared to footballers?
You may be interested in https://www.politics.co.uk/referenc... does Rishi Sunak earn,86,584 for being an MP.
As prime minister, Rishi Sunak is entitled to an annual salary of £167,391.

The prime minister’s earnings are made up of £80,807 for the role of Prime Minister, and an additional £86,584 for being an MP.

Let me correct the impression that it is taxpayers money that is used to fund wages of footballers. It is people like you and me that pay the money to the clubs for them to be able to oay these humongous wages to players. And may I also tell you about that football is reacting to the law of demand and supply. That's why players get paid that much. The viewership for soccer keeps increasing everyday.

When other people have about 30 to 35 years of earning actively, footballers have about 15 years to do so while running a risk of picking up an injury that could completely hamper their entire earning potential. They compensate for all these risks and shortcomings with high wages.

718Threads
6,128Messages
61Members
KeraLatest member