Should teachers be allowed to smack children?

Social Services (Child Protective Service in the US) are garnering more power over parents, however, in some circumstances this is warranted.
I don't know if this is the case in the US but there have been SO MANY social service failures in the UK. Cases of severe child neglect, despite social services having been called in, have been covered up well by the parents. And in some cases, social workers didn't act in cases where they were expected to. Have there been a lot of preventable tragic cases?

So, I've been thinking, if social services can't act in the most severe cases, what benefit if a law can't even be enforced properly?

I respect your opinion though :) How reliable are social services in the US?

When I was in school, it was a common method to discipline kids. Teachers also smacked kids for not doing homework. However, I am strictly against smacking kids. I am against all kinds of corporal punishment in schools. There are other ways to punish and discipline kids and hitting is not one of them.

I think they should be allowed to punish them. This is because the teacher is the one who spends most of the time with the kids and they ought to detect every bad habit that pops on the kids brains. Therefore the teachers must be allowed to punish the misbehaving kids before the parent even notice them.

In no way would I agree that any teacher should smack any child let alone my own. In my opinion, that is a form of child abuse and it can cause lasting mental issues as well which can go on into adulthood, and knowing a child would have to live with that is awful.

There are plenty of other ways that you can punish a child without using any violence and I believe that is how it should always be.

Thanks for your contribution on that. However there are many people of whom I know of that were very naught at school and they were canned thoroughly. To my surprise these people got transformed and they really excelled in their studies and now they are testifying the goodness of the cane.
How do you see that?

Thanks for your contribution on that. However there are many people of whom I know of that were very naught at school and they were canned thoroughly. To my surprise these people got transformed and they really excelled in their studies and now they are testifying the goodness of the cane.
How do you see that?
It impacts people's mental wellbeing, and not everyone is willing to talk about that.
I believe in discipline from respect, rather than discipline from fear.
What if a child has learning needs? Different things work for different individuals.

In Africa, it is a common practice for delinquent kids to be caned by parents and teachers. I would say that the mental configuration of an African person and people from the western world are different. Teacher smacking my kids carefully with love for justifiable reasons? I am in.

718Threads
6,128Messages
61Members
KeraLatest member