Modern Interpretation of Religion

Reaction score
Some religions are so rigid that the people are against the modern interpretation. For instance, in Islam, religion sanctions a man to marry 4 wives. When Islam evolved, men died in wars and to protect women, the prophet proposed that people can keep 4 wives. However, Islam does not want to change that. However, some religions have gone through a lot of interpretations. For instance, there is a huge difference between what Hinduism was 2 thousand years ago and what it looks like these days.

Everyone with their own beliefs though, or should I say everyone with how they understand it and choose to interpret it. The way the people back in the days understood these religions, is definitely not the same way people do now. Then again religion is a belief system, if you have a strong belief system I don't think it should change just to fit into what people believe now.

Everyone with their own beliefs though, or should I say everyone with how they understand it and choose to interpret it. The way the people back in the days understood these religions, is definitely not the same way people do now. Then again religion is a belief system, if you have a strong belief system I don't think it should change just to fit into what people believe now.
I am raising this issue because I frequently hear that LGBTQ is against Bible, abortion is against bible. They are even saying Taylor Swift's songs are anti Christ. How do you see the interpretations like these?

I am raising this issue because I frequently hear that LGBTQ is against Bible, abortion is against bible. They are even saying Taylor Swift's songs are anti Christ. How do you see the interpretations like these?
No doubt those things are against the Bible. However, being self-righteous, being a wife-beater, being racist is also against the Bible.

No doubt those things are against the Bible. However, being self-righteous, being a wife-beater, being racist is also against the Bible.
People like to interpret religion the way they thing is right. They refuse LGBTQ or abortion on the basis of religion but the same people think other races should be eliminated when it is clearly written in the Bible that you should love your enemy.

People like to interpret religion the way they thing is right. They refuse LGBTQ or abortion on the basis of religion but the same people think other races should be eliminated when it is clearly written in the Bible that you should love your enemy.

(Regarding the USA)

Well, in regard to immigrants from Latin America, I doubt if they're really a threat to jobs, seeing that fast food is always hiring yet can get nobody and blue-collar trades need more people.

Also, immigrants from other nations are not driving up land prices as far as I know. That's has to with the rich, middle-class retirees, etc. to a big extent.

Some religions are so rigid that the people are against the modern interpretation. For instance, in Islam, religion sanctions a man to marry 4 wives. When Islam evolved, men died in wars and to protect women, the prophet proposed that people can keep 4 wives. However, Islam does not want to change that. However, some religions have gone through a lot of interpretations. For instance, there is a huge difference between what Hinduism was 2 thousand years ago and what it looks like these days.
Bit of a generalization to say that "Islam does not want to change that", given that very few muslims condone marrying four wives and even fewer actually do it. Some muslims are for it, others are not, and I'm not quite sure exactly who you are referring to when you say "Islam". Specification over generalization, please!

Nevertheless, some religions and some churches are structured in a way that makes processes of modernization slower. As a non-believer, I will of course support those who try to adapt to the society as a whole and bridge the gap between their religious values and more modern liberal (understood as the philosophical/Enlightenment-version of the term 'liberal', I'm not attempting to dive into US politics here) values.

I strongly feel that religion too have to undergo transformation along with changes in social and economic conditions. Else it can become rigid and pressurizing. Hinduism is quite liberal and progressive. People are free to follow the path that they want to as long as it stands to the morals.

Interpretation of religious concepts have evolved over the years. Some have even moved in to interpret it to suit their personal agenda. Tithing on Christianity has now been interpreted to mean that you should share a part of your income with the religious leaders or else life would be "tight" for you.

718Threads
6,128Messages
61Members
KeraLatest member